What? A moment to reflect
When? Now, because when was the last time you had a break … a real bonafide break?
Why? Your mind, body and soul need it.
How? Stepping away for a moment.
We all get stuck in a rut, or inundated with work, deadlines, timelines, matrix, kids lunch… but when do you take a moment for you.
I decided to step away make a yummy treat that I would enjoy creating for my family.
I usually make a homemade Recaito every week for the house as a base for some dishes I prepare, like this yummy one. Bolitas de Mofongo without frying. If you need a break and want to jump into something yummy here is a recipe for you.
Bolitas de Mofongo – first the ingredients.
- 4 Plantains (little past green)
- Recaito (Recipe) 1 tablespoon
- Pork Grinds/Chicharron (your favorite, plain) or without.
- Farmers Ribs or boneless pork (small package)
- 2 Eggs
- Corn flour 2 tablespoons
- Olive Oil
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Milk 2% – 1/4 cup.
- Water 1/3 cup with salt 1 teaspoon.
- Flour 1 cup.
- Water 3 cups
- 1 chicken Bullion
Bolitas de Mofongo – Steps.
- Grate the plantains – and place the water 1/3 cup with salt 1 teaspoon. *UPDATE* Squeeze and drain thoroughly.
- Add milk, eggs, recaito, corn flour (add more cornflour for a consistency that works for you. Mix thoroughly.
- Roll into a ball shape incorporating the pork grinds into the middle and dip into flour so it is completely dusted, place to side. If you are very technical it should be no more than two ounces.
- Chop up pork meat into small cubes.
- Now, in a pot (Imusa prefered) add olive oil and the cubed pork. until browned and then remove but leave the flavor and bits there.
- Add 1 chicken Bouillon and 3 cups of water. Let it boil, this is essential it needs to boil.
- Once boiling add the balls into the pot. When cooked they should float. Lid off.
- Now add back in the pork and let it simmer at a less temp.
- Once incorporated evenly cover and place off heat to settle.
- This is delicious with Arroz blanco (white rice) and Avocados.
Let me know what you think? While eating this check out my latest podcast “Take a break!”